Some great pointers for counting down to your move – and how to save some time, money and, yes, some hair-pulling – in the process.
1. Six months in advance, plan which items you want to take and get an estimate as to how much it would cost to replace the items you are not taking. Many household items are much more expensive abroad. On the other hand, some things may be cheaper so don’t necessarily buy new before you move.
2. If you are sending household and personal effects, start organising and clearing out the things you won’t need. Car boot sales and eBay are great ways to sell unwanted items. If not, many charity organisations are happy to take things – the Salvation Army are more than happy to take unwanted clothes.
3. You should select a removal company that has recognised qualifications, accreditation and insurance. There are many organisations across the world who offer accreditation.
4. You can usually take your car abroad but there are different rules and regulations depending on your destination. You will often need a statement of compliance or import permit prior to being shipped. Our removal companies will be able to advise you on your options.
5. The cost for your removal will depend on the quantity of household and personal effects you wish to ship. A reputable international removal company will offer a free no-obligation home survey to offer advice regarding the types of items, how best to ship them and the associated costs.
6. Plan travel and packing dates and agree them with your removal company at least two months in advance.
7. Four weeks before moving, you should complete your Transit protection form.
8. One week before moving, make sure that all necessary documentation has been completed and returned to your move co-ordinator.
9. On removal day, try to relax and let your removal crew take care of your possessions while you look forward to your new life abroad. Easier said than done but the hard work is over!
10. Make sure that any travel documents and bags are clearly separated from your shipping items.
Moving Home To Cyprus PO Box 33239 5312 Paralimni